How to cope with fight-or-flight
When faced with a stressful or threatening situation, the body often responds with the "fight or flight" response, which is a natural physiological reaction. However, there are several techniques you can try to help calm your fight or flight response:
- Deep Breathing: Take slow, deep breaths, focusing on your breath as you inhale and exhale. This helps activate your body's relaxation response and can help reduce anxiety and stress. Try lighting a candle and inhaling the soothing aromas, we recommend our Calm scented candle.
- Grounding Techniques: Engage your senses to bring yourself back to the present moment. Focus on the physical sensations around you, such as feeling the texture of an object or noticing the colours in your environment. This can help shift your attention away from the threat and bring a sense of calm. Ou Peace Balm of Serenity is a great product to instantly make you feel grounded on the go. Apply on your pressure points and inhale the earthy aromas of Peace.
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation: Tense and then relax each muscle group in your body, starting from your toes and working your way up to your head. This technique helps release tension and promotes a state of relaxation. Apply a soothing and nourishing cream or oil on your body to really reconnect to yourself. Try our I Am Loved Body Cream or Love Reawaken Body & Massage Oil to really help reawaken your inner goddess and help you feel empowered.
- Mindfulness Meditation: Practice mindfulness by focusing your attention on the present moment without judgment. Pay attention to your thoughts, emotions, and bodily sensations as they arise and pass. Regular mindfulness meditation can help regulate your stress response over time.
- Positive Self-Talk: Replace negative or fearful thoughts with positive and reassuring statements. Remind yourself that you are safe and that the threat is not immediate. Repeat calming affirmations to yourself, such as "I am in control" or "I can handle this situation."
- Physical Exercise: Engaging in physical activity can help burn off excess energy and reduce anxiety. Whether it's going for a walk, jogging, or practising yoga, exercise releases endorphins and promotes a sense of well-being. If you are looking for a product to help you feel energised and invigorated our Joy range has exactly what you need. Try using the Joy Jubilation Foaming Polish in the shower and after apply the Joy Body Lotion for the perfect duo to start your day.
- Seek Support: Reach out to a trusted friend, family member, or mental health professional who can provide support and guidance. Talking about your feelings and concerns with someone you trust can help alleviate stress and calm your fight-or-flight response.
Remember that everyone responds differently, so it's essential to find the techniques that work best for you. Self-care is very subjective so make sure to listen to your body, mind, and soul.